Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Forever Young

 
I'm watching Patrick spin Eliot around so that he can feel like Super Man (whom he just discovered).  I am in awe of this precious child's imagination and his love of adventure.  It makes me emotional as I silently pray, "God, let time stop just for a day. I can't get enough of this precious boy." 
 
I know that one day this little innocent will back talk me and think I'm totally lame.  He won't believe that he can fly to go rescue someone or that he, as sure as it's hotter than the hinges right now, can go put out a fire BY HIMSELF.  He truly believes he can do this and I love him for it. 
 
Right now he is telling knock-knock jokes in the middle of his prayers and purposefully passing gas to get a laugh out of Dad and squealing every time it thunders and asking me a billion questions.
 
He is almost three and a half and I'm not going to pretend that this age has been unicorns and rainbows.  We have had our rough days of looking at each other and asking, "What has possessed our child??"  But today, with the sun coming through our dining room window while he and Patrick giggle and "fly"...I soak it in.   
 
There is a new version out of Forever Young by Bob Dylan that plays on Kids Place Live XM.  Every time it comes on I turn it up and weep.  Feel the feelings, y'all. (Below is the Bob D. version as the Andrew and Polly version isn't up yet.)
 
What a sweet prayer for a child.  For me. Now excuse me while I go get a tissue.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment