Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,

As I've become an adult, I have found myself in situations that you prepared me for.  Now that I have become a parent..this goes without saying.

You always taught me to be able to stand on my own two feet, figure things out for myself, and be independent.  I thank you for not ever letting me play the "damsel in distress" bit. You just weren't having it.   You also told me that I could do anything I wanted if I set my mind to it.  This mentality has allowed me to go for jobs that I never dreamed I could have, travel to places I never dreamed that I could, and open pickle jars that are practically IMPOSSIBLE.  :)

Now that I have Eliot and am figuring out this whole parenting shindig, I am so grateful that I have your example to lead me.  Because of you, I might let Eliot crawl into our bed when he gets scared (sometimes), show him how to fish and not kill all the minnows by swirling them around in the bucket (ha!), take him every once in a while to DQ after dinner on a summer evening, play whiffle ball in the backyard, and recite a bunch of random "wisdom quotes" that he will roll his eyes at but then find himself repeating to his own kids someday.

I love you bunches,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment