Monday, October 17, 2011

A Prayer for This Week

In our conversations at church we have been discussing the art of listening to God.  Each week we learn different ways we can listen to Him, one of them being the practice of stillness.  Confession: I am horrible at this.  I am not a busy body having to constantly be in motion but I don't think that the opposite of that is stillness.  I can be sitting on my couch staring at the wall, however, my mind is anything BUT still.  Conquering this is going to be a challenge in itself ON TOP OF am I going to be okay with what I hear from Him??  Two challenges that I'm ready to tackle head on (okay, well, maybe with some trepidation).

Anyhow, I came across this verse and it just struck me in the gut.  (It's from Psalm 139 in the Message)

Investigate my life, O God,

find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me,
get a clear picture of what I'm about;
See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong—
then guide me on the road to eternal life.

So 1. Ask God to investigate my life and cross examine me
     2. Be willing to listen to the feedback
     3. Accept guidance
All of these require stillness, quiet, meditation etc.  It also takes guts as who wants to walk into any relationship whether it be with friend, boss, spouse and say, "Could you just go ahead and let me know everything that I'm doing wrong so that I can do better?"  I typically like to be praised, thank you very much and everything else be swept under the rug. 

But not today.  So here we go.  I'll let you know what I hear and if you're currently practicing this kind of exercise (regardless of religious orientation) let me know how it is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment